Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Clearing out the trash

I have moved a lot in the last 10 years or so.



In 10 years it went as follows
  • Left home of  Nashua, NH to go to college in San Diego, CA (with a return home for 1 summer)
  • San Diego, CA to Paris, France (a semester abroad meant moving all of my things to my sister's house in Colorado Springs, CO)
  • France to San Diego
  • San Diego to Colorado Springs (intended to be long term but reality it changed it to 3 months)
  • Back to San Diego (2 apartments, 5 roommates)
  • Let's try out Los Angeles
  • Desert Anyone? Phoenix it is! (now on the 2nd apartment )

I realized quickly the less stuff you have the better. **Moving by yourself helps this process.** And Jesus say that too! Matt 6:19-21. And I think I've done a fairly decent job keeping the "stuff" in my apartment to a minimum. I'm not hugely sentimental, much to my father's dismay, so I don't have many keepsakes or memorabilia hanging around. Purging closets and cabinets happens regulary. But somehow things still find their way into the corners, under the bed, and to the back of the closet. These things also find their way to into our hearts where it doesn't belong.

Until this week!

Literally every cabinet, drawer and shelve has had a once over and there is a growing pile in my dining area full of items to be sold. Another pile for recycling, another for donations. I've taken pictures of things to sell on Ebay and Craigslist. This is it. I'm clearing out the trash and it feels great! I'm not storing things (or at least the bare of bare minimums) when I head overseas and I definitely am not bringing everything with me. I'm excited at the idea of leaving with only a few suitcases. I'm thrilled to not drive a car. I'm hopeful to see how being stripped of my stuff is going to change how I view the world around me.

Possessions are not the importance of life. I want to live this truth.

No comments: