#heavenisinvading - A hashtag that I saw tweeted by a friend of mine that gave me serious pause. After I read it, I couldn't stop thinking about it for a while.
Hashtag: The # symbol is used to mark keywords or topics in a Tweet. It was created organically by Twitter users as a way to categorize messages.
When you split the words you see that the hashtag is Heaven is invading. It became this idea that is just ringing loud in my head. So I had to get some thoughts out about it. Where do I see heaven is invading? Where do I allow it in my life? Where does it gloriously overrun my life?
After a few minutes it became clear. Hello. Social media- Twitter specifically! It's a hashtag after all.
Social media. The words just make me cringe sometimes because people who aren’t even fully aware of their meaning or their power throw them around so frequently. Marketing companies bombard people but they don't even always know what they're speaking of (I work for a marketing company so I've got a bit of insider experience) With so many options out there, how do you choose? I know I have struggle with each new form. I'm not one to give into fads or trends until I've pondered, investigated, and over-thought each one, social media or otherwise. Yet through the struggle, I've found myself engaging in many of these outlets.
My newest addition is Twitter (if you can call 1yr+ new).
Twitter is not something I wanted but I felt it was strongly suggested by my boss to set up an account. I needed to familiarize myself with it since I would be creating the background imagery for our company Twitter profile.
It couldn't have been much later that my co-workers and I attended Phoenix Design Week. In all of the networking opportunities, I was handed many business cards of those designers and creatives I met, and each card had their twitter screen name. I knew this was a trend I was a part of now, like it or not. As I "followed" each of these new designers, I quickly realized that this was a tremendous resource. These were professionals that I would not necessarily "Friend" on Facebook, but were people I could learn from, bounce idea off of, gather resources from. I had access to design related stuff that I never had before.
I made the choice to keep Twitter as business and professional use only. It was also an easy choice for few of my friends had Twitter themselves.
But then last September; I sat through several sessions at the 2nd Phoenix Design Week. And I began to notice #heavenisinvading. Prior to the conference I was questioning whether design was were I was supposed to be for my job. I had a passion for it still, but it was different. This was just a few weeks after returning home from the life-changing Ireland trip. I went to the conference wondering if this really was where God had me, or if he was pulling me somewhere else. By the end of the final keynote presentation I had my answer. Yes. Design was what God had intended for me. But designing couldn't be driven by my previous intentions. It had to serve a higher purpose. HIS PURPOSE. I knew I needed to use my creativity and design skills to serve in God's kingdom and effect far more people than I had been.
At this Design week I met more people and re-connected with many others. (I secretly love networking). So now after 2 years, several design related events & meetings with other designers in Phoenix - I wasn't just a name. People knew me and my @kmilbu twitter screenname.
My social media struggle began again ... Side 1 argued that this was professional only. Side 2 argued: Yeah but other professional tweet more than professional topics. S1: These people won't care what I tweet. S2: You pick and choose what to read. So will they. It's only 140 characters max. S1: I do want to portray the real me. S2: You should be you no matter the reader. S1: Even if what I write is inspirational & God filled. S2: Especially if it is those things. S1: I don't tweet much now. S2: Because what you want to tweet you're afraid of. S1: Use my design platform for God. S2: S1: Use your design platform for God.
No matter that social media outlet I'm using I try my absolute hardest to keep things positive and spirit led, even in the mundane things. As I have begun to follow non-designers on twitter, I look for people who'll add to this line of thought. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. (Philippians 4:8)
Many of my twitter followers are still designers, marketers, and creatives. But my tweets have changed. I do still include design related stuff. It is a passion of mine. But I really see that #heavenisinvading even in this social media world. I want to make all areas of my life open to that invasion.
I may be completely crazy too (I don't think so though) but #heavenisinvading throughout the tweets of these "professionals". The frequency of tweets involving church, God, Bible verses, has steadily grown.
God gives us unexpected tools all of the time to use for the kingdom.
No comments:
Post a Comment