25 years ago minus a few days the first statements of me being a red head was uttered. It was a moment of disbelief for my parents. "really? red hair? just give her a bath? its not red?" From stories both of my parents have shared with me neither of them ever expected or desired to have a red headed child. Odd, when my mother's brother has hair the same as my own, and my father has hints of it himself.
The comments that come from being a red head really can amaze me sometimes. (as do those stemming from my height). As a child, I had phases of like an dislike. My proud days(embarrassing for my mom I'm sure) was when adults would asks so sweetly "Where did you get that beautiful head of hair?" and I would quickly respond "From RONALD MCDONALD!!!" with a big smile. But there were times I hated how I was different. I hated having to be polite and say thanks on compliments came from older women who":wished I had had that color for my hair" in their lousy attempts to dye it that way.
I fought with my mom on dyeing it. I fought with hair stylist for that matter. Most won't do it for me. I have had people call me a ginger (Look up the meaning of this semi-duragatory statment and if you know anything about me, you'll know why I don't like it). There was a customer when I was a server, who claimed by my height and hair I had heritage of a Warrior Viking Princess of some sorts. That still make me laugh.
But now almost 25 years later. I love my hair and I wouldn't change it. Yeah I might add highlights or something but I would NEVER completely change the color. I have embraced the fullness of the beauty I was given and I know I am special in the color.
So why this moment of pondering. Well... a few months ago, there was a guy who expressed interest in me. In a random moment of me saying my personality can match the red hair I got the comment back, "You're a red head?!?". Imagine the shock. Then two days ago the same thing happens. Another man who is showing interest in me, asked the same. "I didn't realize you were a red head. You are? well I noticed you're eyes first anyhow" Obviously these men are color blind, which means the second guy noticing my eye can't tell that they are green either!
In my efforts to value my hair and its uniqueness. I don't know what I think about the idea of a man I might be in a relationship with not being able to love it too! Its part of my personality. Its not a deal breaker, or is it? Shouldn't I want someone who can appreciate it? I never thought I would have to pose the question "do you know what color my hair is?" because it has always been what brings attention to me without effort. What trouble my hair has brought me.
No comments:
Post a Comment