The sparkles on the waters are beautiful when you can enjoy it, when you can relish in the sound of the crashing waves, the mist spraying off the rocks, the breeze that takes hold of your soul. But to the Isrealites, I don't think the sparkles held this meaning. They, as well as Moses, were aware of the path they were traveling. It was a path towards their seemingly biggest challenge yet, a dead end at the sea's shoreline. If only I could hear the thoughts in Moses head and to hear the response of the Lord too, I would imagine them going like this, "This is pure craziness God! (To you, but to me it's perfect!) You want me to lead these people (Yes.) to a place that has no exit? (Not an exit that you see, but yes. I do want you to do that.) Through narrow, dangerous passage ways (I'll hold you up) to the shore line? (Absolutely. I've got a surprise;) ) I'm trusting you on this Lord (good) because the other option is captivity and death (Keep trusting)." So the masses continued toward the sparkling waters. Fully aware. Many angry. Many untrusting. But the God of wonders proved glorious! The waters parted and a way was made for the people to pass through.
Backing up just a bit, there was a distinct path that God led the Israelite's on that makes me pause. It was a path of zigzags. It was meant to look confusing. Pharaoh will think, ‘The Israelites are wandering around the land in confusion, hemmed in by the desert.’(Exod. 14:3) It was a path to make Pharaoh confused. It was a path to bring Glory to God. "But I will gain glory for myself through Pharaoh and all his army, and the Egyptians will know that I am the LORD.”(Exod 14:4)
I wonder if it also meant to cause confusion to the Israelites? Was he showing them early on that he would not provide them a formula for his miracles?
This is something I've heard many times recently. It's a concept I am really beginning to understand. (Or I think I am :/ ) God doesn't have a formula that he is going to follow. He is going to show His power where we least expect it, because where were expect it to show, is in something/someone/somewhere that is self-serving. It does leaves dependency on Him but dependency that is based on false expectations. I'm not sure the Israelites were meant to be confused per say, but there may have been a lesson to be learned there.
There are days I feel like the path I'm on resembles theirs. I'm on a path that I know distinctly is being paved by God. But still, a path that is taking some loops and turns. I pray, I desire, I yearn for this path to impact God's kingdom fruitfully – that there will be growth in the love of God and that there will be hearts transformed. Maybe what seems like an unnecessary detour isn't even for my benefit but for the benefit for someone else, as it was for the Israelites and Egyptians.
I've written this blog while sitting on the Phoenix Light Rail(LR) both traveling to and from work. And as I rode it Monday morning, first pondering Moses and the Israelites travels, I was disrupted by an announcement saying the operation of the LR had to cease temporarily for a paramedic response somewhere along the line. It was a bit frustrating at first because I still had 3 miles to go until I was at my final destination. But like many others, I stepped off the LR and started walking. Not too far into my stride, I came across a gentleman who was searching a trash can for food. I was able to hand him an apple that I had for my lunch. Maybe my inconvenience was for the purpose of giving him nourishment. I'll most likely never know.
But I'll keep moving and continue to trust. And like the Israelites I still see water glistening ahead of me with no other direction to go but toward it.
To go to Northern Ireland as a student I must apply for a visa and I cannot do that until June based on UK regulations. But as a student I need to be able to prove income in bank accounts. Enough income that covers tuition and £600 per month I'll be there. AND it must be on a statement dated 30 days prior to applying for the visa. This is all of the water sparkling ahead. If you consider tuition for college in the US then mulitply it by approximately 1.7 this is a portion of what I am facing. And it's frightening.
But I hear a whisper on some days, shouts on others that it is in control by the one who brought me on the journey. Last week I was chatting with my friend Shannon. She and her husband are going through some similar experiences. They too are moving their family 3,000 miles for grad school and have some big expenses. They faced a specific financial need by a specific time. In the eleventh hour of their deadline, their needs were met. Shannon looked at me and said, "Pray for specifics. Pray with the right motive. It can happen for you too."
Moses answered the people, 'Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still. ~ Exodus 14:13-14This was a pretty soft whisper that started resonating Monday Morning and now two days later has reached shouting volumes. I'm not sure where I'm getting the money to do this trip. I didn't when I first said yes. I'm pretty sure I won't know at the end of it where it all came from. As I approach this sea, God has a miracle waiting for me and he is smiling and jumping up and down in anticipation to give his good gifts.
What is your sparkling water?

No comments:
Post a Comment