Sunday, September 11, 2011

It's time.

Today has been a day of remembering for our entire nation. September 11. A day that is forever imprinted into our minds. On that, I would never have imagined that I would be were I am. But here I am, my final day in the United States.

Ten years ago, I was beginning my third week of my Freshman year at Point Loma Nazarene University. It was a Tuesday morning and I had a 7:30am Old Testament history class. In you have ever been in a college dorm, any time before 8:00am means a nearly silent hall building as everyone is still asleep. This morning was different.  Girls were scurrying in slippers and pajamas into the lounges. There were people on phones all over the place. As I walked through the dorm, running a bit late for my class, I thought the scene was odd, but I kept going. Outside was more strange activity. There were cars with groups of people gathering around one radio to hear the news. But I was late and I kept going. I sat through OT History with some friends and then we went to breakfast. Partially through my meal, televisions were rolled into the room. That's when we saw the unbelievable. In real time I watched the second plane hit the towers. Was this really happening?

And now 10 years later, I am asking the same question. Is this really happening?

Tomorrow I board the plane to head overseas. Since August 4, 2010 when I de-boarded the plane in Phoenix that had left Northern Ireland, I have asked myself, "Can I go back?" and "When will I go back?" And it's here. It's really here. Tomorrow I go back to Northern Ireland

My stomach is full of butterflies. My mind is full of questions. My heart is full of anticipation. It sort of feels like 10 years ago, but so much better. What's better- the fear is replaced by peace.

Yes. This is really happening. My next post will be from Northern Ireland.

1 comment:

mclardyx6 said...

So awesome Katie! Love where God has taken you! The story has only just begun. Can't wait to read the next chapter! God bless!