![]() |
| The center building in all it's glory. |
I began looking for listing of private accommodations in L'Derry in the middle of June and I saw this home posted. The pictures I saw first were of the interior and it seemed really nice. It was on the top of my interest list. Then the posting disappeared or I stopped looking for a while. I'm not sure. But I lost track of it.
A short time later I was looking to really figure out what I was doing for housing and I had finally found this again. This time I saw the exterior and loved it. I began emailing the property manager. Out of 5 listings I was inquiring about this property was the only one where the manager continued past my first barrage of questions and had interest. He was on top of his responses. It all looked great.
Then I was connected to a woman here in Derry who is now a friend. When I asked her about potential areas of Derry and whether they were good areas or not, it turned out she has a co-worker who live on this "Wee Hill". (Um, I live on maybe the steepest of all hills in Derry, and there are a lot of hills) If I could give her more information or a picture, perhaps her co-worker could share more information. Turns out, he had lived in this exact house.
Are you thinking like I did? Seriously, I have a connection to someone who's lived in this exact house that I've been interested in for months. Of all houses I could find, this one I have a connection to. It was clearly not a coincidence to me- more like a Huge God thing. I was able to find out a bit of information about the house before I moved in from across the world. Pretty amazing.
I got to this home on September 14. It is situated on a steep hill, just west of the River Foyle. It's a ten minute walk to City Center, and two minutes from my University. All that cuteness was hidden under lots of grim and dust. There were some pretty large spiders that rival Arizona who also lived in my room and weren't happy that I was their new roommate. My shoe triumphed that battle of who lived there and who didn't. It's a home of hardwood floors, shared bathrooms, a shared kitchen, and drafty windows
This house currently hold myself, Graeme, Shane, and Ruby. And there is a possibility of 2-3 more at any time. We are 28, 34, 24, and 23 years respectively. Three are students, and one who works full time. There is a Christian, an Atheist, a Jew, and "open-minded to all religions" person all living under this roof. Of course I'm from Phoenix, then one person is from Brighton, England; Donegal, Ireland(the Republic); and the last is from central Northern Ireland. I can't tell what he's saying no matter how many times he's told me. Interesting conversations have already happened.
After spending 2 weeks in this home, I'm trusting God.
I've lived alone for 3 years. Now I have to share with others. And I want that, I really do. But I am living with strangers, with men, with people who don't share my beliefs- all are things that I've never really encountered before,or at least all at the same time. And it's tough. I've found myself wanting to move out already.
I don't need a beautiful home with new amenities to make me feel good. I actually enjoy homes with character. I am building a great friendship with Ruby and I am so grateful for her. But there are issues. Good and bad. Small and large. That big God thing of the house really being highlighted to me before coming? Yeah, it applies now.
I chatted with a friend this weekend about how much I've already struggled in the house and she said, "Of course you are. You are on a mission field in your own home." And it's true. I feel like there is battle that is raging in our home, and I feel it when I walk through the door. But in the battle God is present!!!!
I've openly read my Bible at the kitchen table. They all know I've gone to Coleraine the past two weekends specifically for church. They know I felt led here by the hand of God. And they still want to ask me about it. ALL of them.
This weekend I was struck by Matthew 5:14-16 for various reasons, but this is my prayer for my home and my new city. If I can do even a small bit of what Jesus asks of us in this passage...
14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
I pray for my home. I pray for the people in it. I pray for the people who walk by the doors daily. I pray for the city on a hill in which this home lies. Lord continue to lay your presence and grace all over this place. Give me your eyes in this place.

1 comment:
I love your home. I cannot wait to come visit and see for myself. I am praying for you friend. I love that you pray for where you live. That is becoming our focus too. Love you dearly.
Post a Comment